It is 79 kilometers from Almeria and is located in the easternmost part of the Sierra de los Filabres. The Parochial Church was constructed in 1505 under the invocation of Santa María. During the rebellion of the moriscos of 1568 it was practically reduced to ashes. Its last construction dates from the mid-nineteenth century. The festivities of San Lorenzo are celebrated on the second weekend of August. On holy Thursdays and Fridays there are traditional games or “bowling games” that bring together many fans of the region.
Originally, the town was located about three kilometers south up the hill. In the 1940s, the then mayor Antonio Sáez Sáez decided to move the town to its location today because it is a more convenient place to be and better communicated. The streets of Old Chercos were restored at the beginning of the 21st century. Several houses of the old town, as well as its church, continue being used by their owners during the festive times like Christmas to visit their relatives, weekends and summer.