Located northwest of the province, it is the highest town in the Sierra de los Filabres, at 1201 meters high. It is dedicated to the cultivation of fruits, vegetables and livestock. The modern history of Bacares is closely linked to the conquest of the city, an important Muslim enclave, by the Catholic Monarchs. Centuries later, it is the mining industry that underlines the future of this town. The mining wealth of the area was known from very old, although it is not until 1870 when it begins its massive exploitation by Spanish, English and Dutch companies, which made the town and neighboring regions prosper remarkably. In its heyday, mining employed more than four thousand workers, not counting technicians and specialists, who moved from different parts of the province. The industry survived until 1968, the year in which ICONA took over land and manufacturing facilities.
The most interesting architectural elements of this town are the ruins of the old Bacares Castle, probably of Roman origin, and the Parochial Church (1502).
The festivities of Santo Cristo de Bacares are celebrated from 12 to 14 September. The procession is typical during which the faithful make offerings to the Christ, including bills that cover the entire skirt of the image.