The Almanzora Greenway, whose first steps for its transformation into a Greenway are already underway on the Guadix-Almendricos railway line (Granada-Murcia). This line was built to provide a quick outlet for the mineral that the area contained. Its exploitation began between 1906 and 1907 by various companies with English capital, until at the end of the last century it passed into the hands of Spanish capital.
In its day the railway that linked the cities of Murcia and Granada was called the Almanzora Railway. It was inaugurated in 1885. The main goods it transported were esparto grass, iron ore and marble from the nearby Macael quarries.
The transport of the ore from the mines to the railway was done by laying aerial cables that transported the iron ore to the loading docks of Los Zoilos and Los Canos. On January 1, 1985, it was closed to traffic between the town of Guadix in Granada and Almendricos (Lorca) in Murcia, while the rest of the line continued in use.
The municipalities of Serón, Fines, Cantoria and Olula del Río have carried out conditioning projects in the sections of this line that run through their municipal areas. In this way, it is intended to complete a large greenway in the Almanzora valley, with the idea of creating an ideal road for cycling and walking, suitable for all types of users, including those with reduced mobility.
This Cantoria road layout is completely rehabilitated, it has a large boulevard, in the old station there are offices of different administrations. It was the first stretch of track to be rehabilitated.