Villa of the province of Almeria, belonging to the Judicial District of Huércal-Overa, formerly located on a rocky hill on the right bank of the Almanzora River, which was delivered in 1492 by the Catholic Monarchs to Don Alonso Fernández de Córdoba, Lord of Alcaudete and Montemayor
Currently, it is on a plain on the opposite shore. It has an area of 23.1 km2, it borders the villages of Olula del Rio, Macael, Cantoria, Oria, Líjar and Partaloa and is 100 km away. From the capital.
This town owns the payments of the Vega, the Umbria, the Morales, the Prao, the Murteras, Frasco Esteban, Balsa del Porro, etc. Its population, as of January 1, 2003, was 1,986 people.
Villa located in the marble area, main economic activity of this and all the surrounding villages. The surrounding lands are dedicated to the cultivation of cereals, corn, olive trees and vineyards. The parochial Church, of Mudejar style stands out from the urban set.