In Tíjola there are two centers of religious interest, which are the Parish Church of Santa María and the Ermita Santuario de la Virgen del Socorro, patron saint of the city. The Parish Church of Santa María, according to Father Tapia, was promoted in the decade from 1640 to 1650; in the 16th century the original parish was in the Hermitage of San Cayetano; and previously it is believed to have been an old Arab mosque. Architecturally, it has a main facade with a Renaissance character, although the tympanum connects with the Baroque. The lateral façade called “los Perdones” stands out. Both covers feature shields; one of the promoter bishop of the church: Bishop Portocarrero; and the other, belongs to the coats of arms of the lordship of the Marquis of Villena.
Inside, on the sides, there are two heraldic shields carved in ashlar stone that belonged to the Counts of Torremarín and the Countess of Algaida. It highlights the importance of the altarpiece of the main altar, in the Baroque style of the 17th century; and the neo-Mudejar style choir, as well as the coffered ceiling; there are five later chapels built after the original primitive church. The church plan is of Latin cross and with a square base tower; attached to the church are the premises of the School of Christ.