Walking through the Marble Region
The Guadix-Almendricos line (Granada-Murcia) was built to give quick access to the mineral that housed the area. Its explotation began between 1906 and 1907 by several companies with English capital, until at the end of the last century it passed into the hands of the Spanish capital. Disused since 1985, now it will become an itinerary of great accessibility and safety for all types of users, with no age limit or physical capacity.
The Almanzora Greenway runs along part of the disused Guadix-Almendricos railway line, in the section that runs between the provincial limit of Granada-Almería and the municipal district of Huércal-Overa. The final length of this section of Vía Verde del Almanzora will be approximately 35 km.
The municipalities of Serón, Fines, Cantoria and Olula del Río have carried out refurbishment projects in the sections of this same line that runs through their municipal boundaries. In this way, it is intended to complete a large greenway in the Almanzora valley, with the idea of creating a road suitable for cycling and walking, suitable for all types of users, including those with reduced mobility.
The stretch of ends is an urban route, which highlights the rehabilitation of the old stone railway bridge that exists in the municipality in its boulevard recovered walk. Throughout its layout we can find numerous and varied marble sculptures product of the quarries of the neighboring towns of Macael and Olula del Río that pay homage to different countries, different cultures and great geniuses such as the poet Federico García Lorca.
It began in November 2009, date from which two lanes for road traffic, as well as a pedestrian promenade with trees, equipped with benches, lighting and litter bins, among others, have been set up in the municipality of Fines in the direction of Olula del Río, to keep the environment in a perfect state of cleanliness.